Our healthy chicken recipes have been made from scratch and tested to be delicious. Some are easier than others to prepare, but as long as you are cooking you are avoiding processed foods and that is the key to weight loss and good health.
Chicken wings are awesome, but we all know that if you enjoy them too much, you will add inches to the waistline. Try this recipe for healthier chicken wings. While you are still eating the skin on the chicken, which has a higher fat content, the wings are oven roasted instead of fried. This recipe has the wings coming out fairly crispy as well. Toss them in sauce of your choice and you are golden!
A whole turkey can be too much food for a small gathering, but a turkey breast can be perfect. This turkey breast with gravy recipe is cooked in a Dutch oven and turns out to be mouth watering. It goes great with our green bean recipe. Try them both!
These healthy chicken tacos are super easy to make, and are delicious. If you have extra sauce in the end, it make a great sandwich spread or dip. Complimented with the right tortilla, and you have a very healthy and flavorful meal.
This Thai Chicken can be made with either a red or a green chili paste. Either way, it is delicious and offers a good amount of nutritious veggies. Made in an Instant Pot means that it is super easy and super fast. I actually made the servings of veggies extra-large to make it extra healthy. This can be served with either white or brown rice, with brown rice (in moderate amounts) being the healthier choice.
You cannot go wrong with recipe from Cook’s Country. This is a great recipe for Chicken Cordon Bleu. Enjoy!
25 Ritz crackers (about 3/4 sleeve)
4 slices hearty white bread, torn into pieces
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
8 thin slices deli ham (Black forest ham recommended)
2 cups shredded swiss cheese
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 pounds total)
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 cup all-purpose flour
1. Make Crumbs. Adjust oven racks to lowest and middle positions and heat oven to 450 degrees. Pulse crackers and bread in food processor until coarsely ground. Drizzle in butter; pulse to incorporate. Bake crumbs on rimmed baking sheet on middle rack, stirring occasionally, until light brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to shallow dish. Leave oven on.
2 Stuff Chicken. Top each ham slice with 1/4 cup cheese and roll tightly; set aside. Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Cut pocket in thickest part of chicken and stuff each breast with 2 ham and cheese rolls. Season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper. Transfer chicken to plate, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 20 minutes.
3. Coat and Bake. Beat eggs and mustard in second shallow dish. Place flour in third shallow dish. One at a time, coat stuffed chicken lightly with flour, dip into egg mixture, and dredge in crumbs, pressing to adhere. (Breaded chicken can be refrigerated, covered, for 1 day.) Transfer chicken to clean baking sheet. Bake on lowest rack until bottom of chicken is golden brown, about 10 minutes, and then move baking sheet to middle rack and reduce oven temperature to 400 degrees. Bake until golden brown and chicken registers 160 degrees, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer to cutting board, tent with foil, and let rest 5 minutes. Serve.
It can be difficult to eat healthy, because it takes time to cook, and if you are not cooking you probably are not eating healthy. I make a big batch of this and then freeze packets of it. A quick and easy meat filling for sandwiches, enchiladas, stuffed peppers….where ever your creativity takes you. Super easy!
Shredded Chicken Filling
Makes 5+ cups
Cooking time in slow cooker, 4 to 6 hours on low
1 onion, minced
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 jalapeño, or more! Remove seeds is you do not like spice
5 garlic cloves, minced
3 teaspoons ground coriander
3 teaspoons ground cumin
15oz. can tomato sauce
1½ teaspoons sugar
1.5 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, fat trimmed
1.5 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, fat trimmed
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Microwave onion, chili powder, oil, jalapeño, garlic, coriander, and cumin in bowl, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Put in slow cooker.
- Stir tomato sauce and sugar into slow cooker. Season chicken with salt and pepper, add to slow cooker, and coat evenly with sauce mixture. Cover and cook until chicken is tender, 4 to 6 hours on low.
- Transfer chicken to large bowl, let cool slightly. Shred into bite-size pieces. Let braising liquid settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon.
- Toss shredded chicken with braising liquid add more liquid as needed to keep meat moist and flavorful. Add lime juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Freeze in portion sizes of your choice!